Whatever Christian
Monday, November 23, 2009
We were the most unlikely friends. I played sports; she did baton twirling. I had the tact of a bull in a china shop; she got her feelings hurt easily. I was loud, bossy, and rambunctious. She was quiet, easy-going, and even-keeled. My room was a mess; hers was always clean. I was ten when I met seven-and-a-half-year-old Jordan. We moved in across the street from her house. I was convinced that I could fly and couldn't understand why I couldn't teach Jordan how to do the same. We spent hours jumping off her bed. She watched me with wide brown eyes as I tried to explain how I'd done it before. I built a tree fort and she painted a pretty "welcome" sign. I laughed at the lady who told us she was going to call the cops if we didn't stop trespassing; she whispered "we should go." The only thing Jordan and I had in common was a need for a friend. Both of our families were kind of messed up at the time and our friendship was like a shelter in the storm. I made her laugh. She made me feel special. She listened and took my side when I was mad. I hugged her when she cried. I was mean to her occasionally, but she always forgave me. She would make me mad, but always made it up to me. I moved away when I was fifteen and didn't see her again until this summer. It took me eleven years to realize what I'd learned from Jordan. Jordan is sensitive and kind and thoughtful. I often mistook her gentleness for weakness, but I've realized how wrong I was. She taught me to be careful with my words and how much a little kindness can really go. As a young girl, she taught me that feminine qualities are not something to hide or give away, but something to be shared with those whom you love, yet special enough to keep protected. She taught me that being sensitive is OK. When I wanted to tromp through the garden to get to the woods, she was the one reminding me to watch my step. Her physical beauty is apparent to any passerby, but it takes getting close to her to smell the real sweetness of her character.


I know it's a day late, but happy birthday Jordy-Jo! Thank for being an amazing friend and teacher.
posted by Carsen @ 7:54 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
"As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right." Jeremiah 26:14
About Me

Name: Carsen
Home: California, United States
About Me: army wife, nurse, daughter, sister, Jesus-lover, and friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Sidebar Section

Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER