Whatever Christian
Monday, October 12, 2009
Ordinary Things
"The true test of a person's spiritual life and character is not what he does in the extraordinary moments of life, but what he does during the ordinary times when there is nothing tremendous or exciting happening." -Oswald Chambers

School, work, chores, obligations, studying, church, swimming... all ordinary things in the life of Carsen. There are some potentially exciting things happening (i.e. applying to nursing programs), but its the ordinary things that test my character and spiritual maturity. I read Jonah the other day. I do not want to be like Jonah. That guy is such a hard-headed, whiny, dramatic, selfish dude. And as much as I don't want to be like Jonah, I find myself spewing the same sort of attitude when it come to the ordinary things. (Luckily, I'm not planning on taking any boat rides in the near future.) I want to obey God on my terms and in the things that are exciting or rewarding. But he calls us to be obedient even in the everyday, boring, ordinary things. And by His grace, people like Jonah (and me) are still saved and used for His purpose. I love Jonah's prayer:

"The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed wrapped around my head. To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you brought my life up from the pit, O Lord my God." - Jonah 2:5-6


A beautiful sunset on an ordinary day. Thank you Lord, for reminding me that You are the one who paints the skies.
posted by Carsen @ 4:03 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
"As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right." Jeremiah 26:14
About Me

Name: Carsen
Home: California, United States
About Me: army wife, nurse, daughter, sister, Jesus-lover, and friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Sidebar Section

Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER