Whatever Christian
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Consumed
"You saw no form of any kind the day the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the fire. Therefore watch yourselves very carefully, so that you do not become corrupt and make for yourselves an idol, an image of any shape, whether formed like a man or a woman, or like any animal on earth or any bird that flies in the air, or like any creature that moves along the ground or any fish in the waters below. And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the LORD your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven. But as for you, the LORD took you and brought you out of the iron-smelting furnace, out of Egypt, to be the people of his inheritance, as you now are." Deuteronomy 4: 15-20

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts." Deuteronomy 6:4-6

As a young Christian (and even as a child), it was very obvious what things were "good" and what things were "bad." I knew not to be consumed by anger, lust, envy, pride, or selfishness. As a new Christian we are very much controlled by emotions. Everything is exciting and new and we're pumped up about our new found salvation. We become passionate about missions, evangilizing, youth group, bible study, worship, tithing and such. I have recently realized that this should be just a phase and that our passion/excitement should change as we grow. Our passion and excitement should be in Him alone.

I have come to realize that if we are consumed by anything other than God himself, no matter how good of a thing it may be, it is not right. I have been consumed by my friends, family, church, work, school, and missions. These things are not bad things, but they ended up getting more attention than my relationship with God. Jesus shows how important it is for God alone to be thing that consumes when he says to cut off your hand if it causes you to sin (Matthew 5:30; 18:8; Mark 9:43; this is also an example of how we must treat sin). If these seemingly good things are causing us to sin or are being put above the Lord our God, we must get rid of them and/or dirasctically change our priorities.

When you put things or ideas or people above God, are you loving him "with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength"? If you are consumed by your marriage, your problems, your current situation, your adoption, your finances, your children, your church, your ministry, are your eyes fixed on Him alone? We are instructed to not make idols; what is your idol?

God gives us blessings, passion, and direction not for us to be consumed by them, but to draw us to Him.

I challenge you to evaluate your own priorities, your own heart, your own thoughts and ask the Lord to show you what you have been consumed with. And then ask for the courage and strength and guidance is takes to change those things.
posted by Carsen @ 10:57 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At December 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this because it reminds me of my life right now. School is consuming...when you go to school this semester, strive to take hold of God because it's a battle, at least in my experience. I've kind of found myself only taking serious time with God 3-4 times in a week rather than everyday like I did when I didn't have school so thanks for the reminder.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
"As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right." Jeremiah 26:14
About Me

Name: Carsen
Home: California, United States
About Me: army wife, nurse, daughter, sister, Jesus-lover, and friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Sidebar Section

Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER